Datascribe LPO blog Top legal processing blogs

CALL US NOW 704-248-6297

What are Non-Immigrant USA Visas

You are thinking about visiting the U.S. for a certain purpose, but you have no idea what type of visa you need. There are so many different options with different numbers and letters. H-1B and 4, H-3, B-1, E-1, J-1, L-1, TN, E-3? Your head might be spinning from confusion, right? Don’t stress. We are here to help you break down what those Non-Immigrant visas can be used for, so you can apply for the right one and won’t have any issuing coming into the United States.

H-1B and H-4 Visa

The H-1B visa type allows American businesses to recruit and hire international professionals for a certain time frame which usually amounts to 6 years max. Usually, this visa is good for three years and then you can ask for a year extension. International students who are currently studying at an American University that want to work in the U.S. to support themselves can apply for this type of visa as well. It is important to note for that there is a yearly cap for this type of visa that is determined by the United States Congress.
The H-4 visa is for a dependent (spouse or children) of the H-1B recipient.

H-3 Visa

The H-3 visa allows foreigners to come to the United States who would wish to receive professional training that can not be offered in their home country. This visa can also be used as special education exchange visitor who will be part of a training or gain experience for children with disabilities whether that is physical, emotional or mental.

B-1 Visa

The B-1 is a temporary visa that allows a foreigner to enter the U.S. for a business purpose whether that’s commercial or professional in nature. In terms of a business purpose, this could mean negotiating a contract, settling an estate, attending a conference for their career or business, and consulting with other business advisors, etc. They should know how long they are planning on staying in the U.S. and are able to cover their costs while visiting.

E-1 Visa

The E-1 visa is treaty traders who are coming to the U.S. to solely engage in international trade on his or her own behalf. They can trade anything from goods, services, insurance, transportation, foreign banking, tourism or technology.

J-1 Visa

The J-1 visa is for exchange visitors only. These visitors should be involved in an approved program for the sole purpose of teaching, lecturing, conducting research, consulting, receive special training or receive a graduate medical training or education.

L-1 Visa

The L-1 visa allows a U.S. employer to transfer an executive or manager from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one in the United States. This visa classification also allows a foreign company that does not yet have an established and affiliated U.S. office to send an employee of high standing to the United States with the purpose of establishing one.

TN Visa

The TN visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to work in the U.S. in prearranged business activities for the U.S. or other foreign employers. This visa type was created by The North American Free Trade Agreement also known as the NAFTA to help handle special economic and trade relationships between the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

E3 Visa

This visa type is specifically for Australians who want to come to the U.S. to solely perform services that require theoretical and practical knowledge in a professional field that requires a bachelor’s degree at a minimum. If you need further assistance to fill out the paperwork and discuss the requirements needed for any of these Non-Immigrant visas that we just discussed. Feel free to reach out to us today!